I’m starting to find out.
January was a month of discovery. After all the book signings and events in December, I needed a chance to catch my breath, so I didn’t schedule any events in January. I was hoping for some relaxing downtime, but it turned out to be busy in different ways. Somehow six weeks have disappeared without so much as a blog post from me. Where did the time go? What did I accomplish in that time? So to prove to myself that I actually did something, here’s a list of what I’ve been up to:
- Taxes. It’s my first time filing as a writer. I had to do some research to find out what deductions I qualified for. Needless to say, in 2013 I’ll be doing a better job of keeping track of all things writerly. I have a notebook for logging inventory and local sales tax; a ledger for recording mileage, phone calls, and other business activities; and Excel files for compiling all income and expenses. I’m also keeping all writing receipts and invoices in a binder where I can easily find them. I’m hoping that once I get the hang of all this paperwork, it won’t be so time-consuming.
- Organizing. My office was a mess—seriously. I found a pile of stuff dating back to 2011. I pulled everything out of my filing cabinets, desk, and office closet . . . the floor of the room was covered in stuff. I threw away some of it, then organized everything before putting it in easy-to-find places. For the time being, my office is sparkly! Now if I can only keep it that way. Since I spend so much time in there now, it makes me happy when it looks good. I even spruced up my ugly filing cabinets with pretty nature photos. Check it out:
- Editing. My critique partner, Ellie Ann, has a book coming out soon! It’s a YA cyberpunk called THE SILVER SICKLE. I had the honor of helping to edit the book. Can’t wait to see the final product! I’ll be talking more about it in the near future.
- GRACED. If you haven’t heard of my daily photo project, you can find all the details HERE. Every day I post a new photo and Bible verse to my Facebook page, Pinterest, and Tumblr. I’ve really enjoying this project, and I love the support I’ve received. Thank you!
- YA Audiobook Challenge. Listening to audiobooks is something I always do, no matter what. The only difference is this year I’m participating in a challenge to listen to and review 36 audiobooks. It’s good for me to get in the habit of writing reviews. Click HERE to see what I’ve reviewed so far in 2013!
- Scheduling events. Although I didn’t have any author events in January, I was still busy planning events for the rest of the year. Two of those events are coming up this weekend in Iowa! Saturday I’ll be in Indianola and Ankeny, selling and signing books. I’m even presenting “A Day in a Writer’s Life” at the Indianola library. Curious to see what people think of it! Find all the details for both events HERE.
- Scrivener. This writing software was my Christmas present, and I love it so far. I had to spend some time learning how it works, and I still don’t know everything it’s capable of, but I’m happily using what I need right now. It’s already improved my writing process.
- SUPER SECRET PROJECT. Okay, it’s not that secret . . . but I’m not quite ready to announce it to the world. Give me another week or two. Can’t wait to share the news with everyone! This is the project I’ve been consumed with the past few weeks.
I’m sure I’m forgetting things, but that’s enough for now. In non-writing news, I’m still working at the library and teaching yoga and being a wife/mom/friend/maid/cook/chauffeur . . . well, you know how it goes. That’s life! Hope all is well with all of you, and hope to talk to you again soon!