UPDATE: The contest is now closed, and the winner is . . . Christa! Congratulations!! Check out her awesome Wings of Thunder inspired artwork:
You can order feather earrings of your own at Lanie Lynn Designs!
What exactly IS Erin’s Expressive Extravaganza, apart from being extremely hard to say? It’s a chance for YOU to win prizes and a chance for ME to see some inspiring creativity. A win-win situation!
I’m always looking for new ways to imagine story worlds, and I want to motivate others to use their imaginations as well. So I came up with an idea for a contest: Erin’s Expressive Extravaganza. I want YOU to find an original way to express one of my story worlds—The Thunderbird Legacy or River’s Edge—doesn’t matter which one. Examples of expression:
1. Artwork. Either graphic art or something crafted by hand. If it’s not created on a computer, you’ll need to scan the image. If scanning isn’t a possibility, you can take a picture of it, but make sure it’s a high-quality photo that does justice to the artwork.
2. Video. Lots of possibilities here. Act out a scene from one of the books. Make a book trailer. Videotape yourself talking about the book. Perform an original song inspired by the book (ooh, a musical). Here’s an example of a video featuring RIVER’S EDGE:
3. Photography. Take a picture of something (or someone) that reminds you of one of the books. You can use free editing software to add text to the photo. That’s how I made the following:
These are just three examples of creativity; perhaps you can think of others. I didn’t mention an obvious one—writing. Of course I love writing and want to encourage it, but I’m not sure it’s something I’m looking for in this contest. I want something very visual that I can display on my website and Facebook page and Pinterest and all those types of places. If you have a creative idea but you’re not sure it will fly, send me a message and I’ll give you the green light or red.
I love to take my story ideas and put them in a new, creative format—audio or video or photo or art-0. I’d do it more often, but I don’t have time! That’s why I need your help. What do you get in return? PRIZES AND FAME. Okay, not fame exactly. And perhaps only one prize, if you’re lucky, and a couple prizes if you’re REALLY lucky.
One prize up for grabs will be custom-made feather earrings inspired by Ivy’s earrings in WINGS OF THUNDER. They look like this:
If you’re not a feather earring type of person, you can substitute a $10 Amazon gift card for your prize. Grand Prize Winner will get the earrings OR gift card PLUS a free ebook and/or paperback of RIVER’S DEEP and SOUL OF STORM as soon as they’re available later in 2014.
I haven’t decided how many prizes I’ll give away. Honestly, it depends on the number and quality of entries. If I receive so many awesome entries that I have trouble choosing winners, then I’ll give away more prizes.
Enough rambling on my part! Here are the official rules for Erin’s Expressive Extravaganza!
1. Entries must be emailed to me by Feb. 14, 2014. Photos/files can be attached. For videos, send me the link. If you don’t have my email address, contact me through Facebook or my website, and I’ll send it to you.
2. Each person can submit no more than three entries.
3. You must own the rights to your creative endeavor. No stealing someone else’s photo, for example.
4. Somewhere on your creation, write the name of the book you were inspired by (Eyes of Lightning, Wings of Thunder, or River’s Edge). If you’re making a video, mention the book or have a slide with the book title at some point (as in the video above). If you use text from one of the books, mention “Erin Keyser Horn” (as in the photo above) since I own the copyright for that text. But give yourself credit for your creativity—sign your artwork or add a “Photo by . . . ” line.
5. By submitting your creative endeavor, you are giving me permission to share it anywhere on the World Wide Web. You retain the rights to it, but I get to flash it around wherever I want. I might even keep it posted on my website indefinitely.
6. Shortly after Feb. 14th, I’ll choose one Grand Prize Winner (prizes detailed above) and perhaps runner-ups (prize of earrings OR gift card). Gift cards will be emailed; earrings will be shipped. Book prizes will be shipped later in 2014.
I’m probably forgetting something, but that’s all I can think of for now. Let me know if you have ANY questions about any of this! And thanks for participating; I can’t wait to see what you come up with!!